Head of Discovery Biology
Constellation Pharmaceuticals is a pioneering epigenetics company, focused on the discovery and development of novel, small molecules targeting chromatin regulatory proteins in tumor and immune cells for therapeutic applications in oncology. Our unique discovery platform integrates our understanding of chromatin-regulatory mechanisms with cancer and immune pathways to optimize our drug discovery activities and fully enable the clinical translation of our programs.
At Constellation we know that our success as a company lies in the hands of individual employees across every element of our company working together. To foster this success, we strive to create a diverse, challenging, exciting, and fun work environment for all employees. We believe that each team member has the ability to impact and improve the lives of patients. We are #BrighterTogether.
As the head of our discovery biology organization championing new targets for portfolio entry and supporting portfolio candidate targets through various drug discovery stages, you will have an immediate impact on defining Constellation’s current and future portfolio. You will lead a team responsible for the discovery and validation of the next wave of targets, execution of cell-based and in vivo assays to support the pipeline programs, bioinformatics and bench efforts to elucidate the molecular consequences of target inhibition and work together with the drug discovery and translational teams to advance compelling pipeline assets. You will work closely with other key stakeholders in Research and Clinical to identify and advance novel targets for Constellation. You will independently lead a group of bench scientists and the functional genomics department and oversee the management of our work with external vendors and academic laboratories conducted on behalf of/in collaboration with us.
How you will spend your day:
- Enabling and guiding Constellation’s target discovery efforts from a disease biology perspective by overseeing all target identification and target credentialing efforts
- Leading and mentoring growing teams of scientists working on pre-portfolio target opportunities and in-portfolio drug discovery programs at various stages
- Collaborating with the translational and clinical teams to generate and prioritize novel oncology target opportunities and compelling oncology development paths
- Selecting vendors and academic laboratories for in vitro and in vivo assay implementation and execution; coordinate/manage their work flow and budgets and ensure timely delivery of data
- Contributing to the overall research strategy, including prioritization of targets to be evaluated, determination of appropriate cell based assays to support drug discovery campaigns, and devise animal studies that support the disease rationale for candidate targets.
- Spend your day in a team-oriented mode of operation and collaborative work with peers in discovery biology, functional genomics and cross functional drug discovery project teams
Key things about you:
- Love working in a matrix organization, using the power of the team to accomplish lofty goals
- Ph.D., or equivalent degree is required
- At least 15 years relevant experience with a minimum of 10 years in industry
- Experience with utilizing cancer genomic information as a guiding principle for target selection and prioritization and for development of biomarker strategies is required
- You have firsthand knowledge of oncology target discovery and what it takes to advance a preclinical portfolio and how to increase the probability of success to deliver product candidates for development
- You have firsthand experience guiding the biology efforts of small molecule H2L and LO drug discovery programs, including at least one each, early and late stage small molecule discovery programs
- Successful years immersed in the oncology space
- You can work with anyone, in any functional area
- Added intellectual, innovated value showcased by your publication record and novel thinking on prior clinical programs.
- Colleagues envy your communication skills; you have excellent interpersonal skills; effective at communicating with everyone.
- Working knowledge of genetic / genomic and / bioinformatic technologies in order to guide their application in target discovery approaches, especially in oncology
- Immunology background or preclinical experience with immune checkpoint inhibitors beneficial
Constellation Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity Employer, a participant in E-Verify and offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, 401(k), paid vacation, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from employment agencies for any employment opportunities at this time.